Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Home + Body = Homebody

A day doesn't go by that I don't pick up my knitting needles and work on a project. It's comforting and relaxing if it's simple stockinette or garter stitch. Lace knitting - not so much. Love the look but sometimes it's more of a challenge than I'm up to. Hence the name, Homebody Knits. I admit to being a homebody and have been one all my life. There is no place like it and nothing (barring my family and little dog) makes me happier than the sight of my own front door. I love to travel but just before I round the last corner before my street sign appears, I say a little prayer that the house is still standing. Crazy, I know, but that's how it is. In addition to knitting, I plant a small garden, write a bit, cook most every meal and bake a little. Tonight I was supposed to attend my first rug hooking class but, no surprise to anyone who lives in the northeast United States, the class was cancelled due to expected snow and ice. It's been a very cold, snowy winter and it's not over yet. 
Now, the "Body" part of homebody. I'm collecting social security and I admit that I still have "body issues". I know I'm not alone but I wish I'd just get over it. Prior to Christmas, I was exercising 3 times a week and losing weight slowly following a low carbohydrate, high fat diet lifestyle regime whatever. I came down with a bug in January that took most of the month to shake and then had some elective surgery in February. So basically, I've been off my game for two months. But I'm determined to get to a comfortable weight and fitness level and most of all, accept my body shape, type and size and do it soon. Following the low carb program I did see a substantial drop in my triglycerides in the first 5 months. To get to where I am, I've been preparing boring meals that allowed me to substitute extra vegetables for the starches I was preparing for my husband. There's got to be a better way and I'm determined to come up with some recipes that will satisfy both of us. He says he likes my cooking and his weight is perfect - he has no complaints. I just feel that if I'm going to eat this way (which I really believe is healthier than the standard American diet) I'd like to get more creative in my meal planning. I'll be testing and posting any interesting recipes I come up with here.
Lastly, I'm going to try to post daily, if I can. I'm finding that I'm losing track of not just days, but months and years. I'm enjoying this part of my life so much that I want it to slow down. I feel like I was just dreading winter when suddenly, I was smack dab in the midst of it. I'm trying not to hurry my life along, just because I do hate the cold and the snow. That's simply no excuse for not savoring every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment